Friday, February 29, 2008

Friendship

Recently, actually, just two days ago, i had one of my best friends for the last 9.5 years tell me he was through with me and never wanted to talk to me, see me, or hear from me again. I was completely shocked. I admit, I wasn't a very good friend lately and last time I spoke to him, it was kinda out of turn, but i didn't expect this. I apologized and said i wish i could take it back, but this friend reiterated that we were through.

This got me to thinking. I have had several other friends lose friends like this and now i understand a bit of what they are going through. Hopefully, that person will forgive me someday and we can continue our friendship. Meanwhile, i guess, i'll keep praying for that fried of mine, not so much that we'll be friends again (although i would love that) but that he will continue to grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

He's a great guy, would give you the shirt of his back a thousand times and he's in a really rough time and place, and i didn't care enough for him during this time. I only occasionally left him notes and never wrote a letter. Not until this happened did i realize my mistake and how hard it was for this person right now. I talked to a family member who explained a lot and made me realize, that part of being a Christian, is not just loving the people in front of you, but also reaching out to those who are far and being disciplined in contacting them regularly. That's probably what the apostle Paul did with Timothy and Titus and in the rest of his letters. He maintained communication and kept encouraging them.

Father, help me to focus on You and not be so self oriented. May I love as You have loved. May the knowledge of Your Son Jesus overcome me and my friends.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment